Old 01-15-09, 08:44 PM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hardtail
Hi,

I don't think that Cannondale is a good touring bike at all. No way I'd shell out 1000GBP on it. Typical example of a big manufacturer entering a niche market and spending most of their $$$ on marketing.

Front Crank Truvativ Elita Tandem 52/39/30. Is that suitable for loaded touring??? 52 is too big IMO. Also, isn't 105 more road stuff... although I'm sure it's fine for touring.

Are the racks included. Not mentioned in the spec on the Cannondale site.

Aluminium frame? Don't like the rear triangle at all.

A touring bike needs to be designed for touring. Don't think that Cannondale has really been designed for its intended purpose. Of course that's not to say it's a bad bike. I'm sure its good and you could probably take it touring with no problems. It's just that for 1000GBP I don't think it's good value.

A Thorn Sherpa might be a better bike for around the same $$$ and less if the racks aren't included on the Cannondale.

Shop around. It's a buyers market out there and I'd say don't be shy to drive a bargain.

For the record I've got a Thorn Raven. Good bike but around 1,500GBP all up when I bought 2 years ago and I think the price has gone up since then.

Good luck with your purchase if you do decide to upgrade from your Raleigh, but shop around
Cannondale has made some wonderful touring bikes that have stood the test of time.
I would not hesitate to ride one across the country tomorrow.
You "don't think"? Or you "don't know"?