Old 01-16-09, 06:56 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GB, nice to hear from you. Yeah, I'm wondering how I will feel once my commute gets extended to 22 miles one-way. I guess I'll adapt.

This morning's ride went like this:

http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/20017

Originally Posted by NoRacer's Bim Blog
Cycle 05:26 am - Morning Commute
16 January, 2009 06:32

When I stepped out of the house, I felt overdressed, but after the hour+ of riding was over, I knew that I had to make some changes in how I dressed.

For one, the balaclava needs to go. It gets too wet from my breath, forms frost on the outside, and then I can't breath at all. A face mask that keeps space between my mouth and nose would be the best.

Second, with the wind from the north, I needed more face protection. A knitted ski mask that covers everything except the eyes, and mouth would be better.

I wore ski goggles to protect my eyes. They worked well, except an untinted version would be better--very hard to find.

My feet were starting to get cold even though I wore a CoolMax inner layer followed by two pair of thick wool socks, plastic bags, shoes, neoprene booties, and fabric booties. I think I violated the need to have as much air space as possible--two pair of wool socks definitely made for cramped quarters in my shoes.

Hands--covered by a pair of cotton gloves, then Gore Windstopper gloves, then a pair of wool socks. They stayed warm during the entire ride. I didn't prespire into them too badly, either.

All in all, it was a good ride to try things regarding dressing for the cold. It was bearable this morning. If there's a next time, I'll address the specific problem areas, hopefully making the ride more comfortable.

Activity
Code:
Route: -- Elev. Avg: 238 ft 
Date: 01/16/09 Up/Downhill: [+1131/-738] 
Time: 06:41 AM Difficulty: 5.0 / 5.0
Weather:
Code:
  14 F temp; 41% humidity 
  14 F heat index; winds WNW 19 mph
Performance
Code:
Distance: 13.39 miles   
Time: 1:06:02 
Speed: 12.2 mph   
Pace: 4' 55 /mi   
Calories: 630
Notes
Code:
Ok. It was a good test of my cold weather gear. I need to update my "spec" 
for dressing for 0-20 degress F (but, the windchill according to weather.gov 
placed temps at -3 F).
MAP

ELEVATION (FT)

SPEED

WEATHER.GOV

Last edited by NoRacer; 01-16-09 at 07:54 AM.