Old 01-18-09, 12:10 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The perfect day...granddaughter, tailwinds, bookstores, and three bikes

What a perfect day. Aside from the fact that the temps reached 68 degrees with light winds it was just one of those days where all good things happen. .

Last night my granddaughter (five weeks old) brought her mom and dad to visit. She's our first grandchild and after raising four sons Mrs. Mono is looking for someone to spoil. As the last two left for college a few weeks ago she dead-pan told them that money would be tight as she intended to spend all her money on Brenna. Not to brag or anything but you might enjoy looking at this link of the most beautiful baby ever. The soundtrack is beautiful.

http://www.poeticexposure.com/brenna

This morning my son went for a run so I accompanied him on my mountain bike, spinning the hills around town at about 6 miles per hour while he ran.

After the run and ride we had some of Mrs. Mono's great cooking for breakfast, after which she and I took our first ride on our newly acquired Burley Rock-N-Roll tandem. We only went around the neighborhood. No bones were broken. As in our marriage, I make the major decisions and she makes the minor ones and we don't have many major decisions. Whether or not we'll ride across Missouri on the Katy come summertime remains to be seen. More about the tandem in a later post, maybe.

Then my son wanted to go to the Larry McMurtry bookstores. He went by vehicle and I went by bicycle, most of the time with a good strong tailwind. It was 47 miles in 2 hours and 40 minutes for me and when I got there he was well ahead of me in the book shopping department.

After an hour or so of shopping I found an old copy (not a first printing) of Thoreau's Walden, which I've never read, and for a reasonable price, as well as a small tome about the Spanish American war. My son is a teacher of American and Texas history and is working on a book about WWII so he found several books of interest. Of course I paid for the lot.

Three bikes, family, books, and good times. What a day!! I wish they could all be like this one.

The traffic here in NCentTx can be really rough

No need for bailout money here

Looking back on part of my route. I live just short of those hills.

The stacks. A little after this photo was taken the Pulitzer/Oscar/Golden Globe winner himself was in here sorting some books. That's my oldest son in the pics. This photo shows perhaps 1/4 of one of the stores. The bookstores are the focal point of Archer City, Tx. There are a total of five stores, including one of rare books and manuscripts. Arguably (Wicki says) it is the largest bookstore in the United States. I just love prowling around here.

The old Trek, loaded up for the ride back home.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 01-18-09 at 07:47 AM.