Old 01-18-09, 08:35 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Agentbolt
I was wondering what the difference would be between installing a new set of trekking bars vs. just putting bar ends on the bike. Trekking bars don't really get you any lower, so as far as I'm aware their chief advantage of flat bars is more hand positions.
As mentioned, yes, more hand positions. It also gives you more room for accessories like your cyclometer, lights, and mirrors.

The primary benefit to bar-ends is that they are less expensive, easier to install, and don't change your current position. E.g. when you look at n4zou's setup, the brakes and shifters are set a few inches back from where they would be if he used a flat bar.

Since bar-ends are pretty cheap, I'd recommend trying them first, wrap them in bar tape, and see how it goes on some long rides / tours. If it gives you enough positions you're set, if you feel like you need more then switch to trekking bars.

Originally Posted by agentbolt
Also, and this is probably an indescribably stupid question, but when installing drop bars, instead of having them point straight up, could you just have them point down at an angle? Then you'd be able to get down lower for windy stretches.
The idea is to keep your hands in the hoods as much as possible. Point the drop bars too far down and that position will feel uncomfortable. You don't need to go much lower than what a typical drop offers anyway.