Old 01-18-09, 09:14 AM
Jerrys88

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvilV
The Strida is tiny and light weight. I am not familiar with Central Park, but have got the view from somewhere that NY is pretty flat.
While the Strida may be a good choice for compactness and weight (I don't own one), please be aware that New York is NOT flat. I wouldn't buy any bike that doesn't have at least 3 gears, and given a choice I'd opt for more, no question. There ARE hills in Central Park, and if you intend to do any riding elsewhere in New York, be aware that there are parts of Manhattan that are most definitely hilly.

Originally Posted by EvilV
I'd like to see a 5'2" woman carry most of these bikes upstairs more than a very few times. I'd suppose that <1% of women would be prepared to regularly carry a bike up six floors - if that.
I agree with this, except I'd include myself, a 6'2" man. 24 lbs. may not sound like a lot but it IS a lot when you have to carry it up stairs. I love my folder, but honestly, if I was living in a 6 floor walkup and looking for a bike for recreational use, I'd be looking for a non-folder under 20 lbs. if possible. I'll add that in my experience carrying my folder in its UNFOLDED state feels a lot lighter, probably because of weight distribution, than when it's FOLDED. So for me that defeats the whole purpose of getting a folder if you're thinking it will be easier to carry up stairs when folded.