Old 01-18-09, 09:42 AM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll echo that advice. I did use flat bars and bar ends for an 800 mile tour, and in all honesty, I was comfortable. Whether I would have been as comfortable for longer, I can't say. So I think from my experience it would make sense to try bar ends first from an expense perspective.

Having said that, I do now have trekking bars and after fitting issues, I love them (you have to have the right stem!). If I was outfitting a bike for touring now, I wouldn't consider flat bars and bar ends -but of course that is assuming I have the money for a new stem and trekking bars.

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
As mentioned, yes, more hand positions. It also gives you more room for accessories like your cyclometer, lights, and mirrors.

The primary benefit to bar-ends is that they are less expensive, easier to install, and don't change your current position. E.g. when you look at n4zou's setup, the brakes and shifters are set a few inches back from where they would be if he used a flat bar.

Since bar-ends are pretty cheap, I'd recommend trying them first, wrap them in bar tape, and see how it goes on some long rides / tours. If it gives you enough positions you're set, if you feel like you need more then switch to trekking bars.