View Single Post
Old 01-18-09, 01:14 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tandem Coniguration for Selling

I posted this as a portion of another post here.

One person replied with advice to put it back to drop bars and STI, then offer it for sale.

I have the parts, ability and time to comply with any of the options. I'd just like some thoughts from others.

The following is cut and pasted from the other topic.

Some of you that have followed my adventures of fitting my stoker to our Speedster know the efforts I've tried.

While she loves the Speedster, and hates change, I convinced her to let us buy another Tandem.

I already know that after I some spend some time fitting her to the most recent bike we bought, a decision will be made to sell one of the two road tandems we now have. Keeping a third tandem (one mountain and two road) is not practicle for us, as we have minimal space to store them and for the most part, others couples are not of the high opinion of this forum in regards to enjoying a tandem. The standard comment to us is that would END our relationship.

So here is a what if or what is question.

With our current Co-Motion Speedster, I have it built as follows.

Flat MTB bars front and rear, with bar ends and downtube shifters.

I have several options to reconfiguire the setup. Which would be most practicle for a perspective buyer.

I can leave it as is with the flat bars, bar ends and downtube shifters.
or
I can leave it as is with the flat bars, bar ends and reinstall twist shifters (Sram or Grip Shift) as I first built it
or
I can set it back to drop bars front and bullhorn rear bars, going with Ultegra STI and travel agents for the brakes.

It has Avid linear pull "V" brakes and mountain type levers currently installed. Overall stopping is very controlled and confident. Not sure it will be as good with STI.

I'm merely asking to gain opinions, I know how we prefered the setup, and other than the need for 1" longer stoker top tube, our setup was comfy, smooth, and fun. Without drops it was't quite racerish, but the bars and bar ends offered many hand holds. Is this what others might prefer also.

Thanks everyone, this sight and the experienced posters are helping us enjoy life even more.

Sounds like I'm kissing butt, but I am serious.

Thanks Again
PK