View Single Post
Old 01-21-09, 10:08 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always wanted to be in great shape at the start of a tour, but never have been able to manage it. I've started tours in various conditions from lousy shape to okay shape. No matter what shape I've been in, the first few days are always hard for me - especially the first two or three. For that reason I try and plan very short rides for the first few days, then work up to my regular mileage. I'd rather ride 25 miles a day and not suffer too much, than start out with long days. On my first long tour when I hadn't trained due to a hernia repair, my first day was 26 miles (which seemed awfully long at the time) and my second day was 83! I was in agony at the end of that! My third day was over 50 and I still hadn't recovered from the previous day - more agony! By about the fifth day I decided to take a rest day to recover, but wanted to make a little progress, so I planned to ride about 10 miles to a new campground and stop. Lo and behold, I started the ride feeling fine. I got to the new campground and decided to keep going. I ended up riding about a 50-mile day with no pain. I was finally "in shape!" That was the end of the agony on that trip.