View Single Post
Old 01-21-09, 01:00 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Belfast to Galway to Dublin on a bike that cost (and just about weighed) forty pounds-- some 20 year old 10 speed from a street makrket in Belfast. Cheap yel
low nylon over-the rack pannier. Slept in my little tent on farmland and the rocky shore of one of the Aran islands. What an incredible trip.

I had to walk up every hill on the way out of NI, but made pretty good time overall. 3 days to Galway, a day and a half to Dublin.
Spent 7 weeks in Ireland, Wales, Scotland a few years ago. It was unguided and self-supported. Contacted the Irish Tourist board and they sent me some info. Found a book called 'Cycle Touring Ireland' by Brendan Walsh. He had a recommended 'Grand Tour' that I adapted to my own route.

My wife and I are planning to do another one within a couple of years. This time we'll go counter-clockwise and NOT take Swords Road into Dublin...not recommended. We'll go from hostel to hostel as they're all to a certain standard of accomodation. There's the Independent Holiday Hostels group sponsored by Guiness that are very good. Dormitory style bunkbeds and fully equipped kitchens. The great thing is that one can book an entire tour in advance and you'll be guaranteed a bed. We're going for at least one month...anything shorter is a waste of time. It takes a few days to get into a 'groove' as any experienced tourer will know.

It was a life changing experience. The adversity I encountered toughened me into a 'touring cyclist' and I learned how much I could actually do without. As soon as I got off the plane in New York I wanted to turn around and fly back thinking, "Man, I've learned so much. This time I'll do it RIGHT!"

Overall, it was a great experience w/alot of terrible and exhilarating moments interwoven. The biggest thing I learned is that good quality equipment and a good quality diet are WAY more important than anything else. Believe me, when my wife and I go every variable in terms of equipment failure will be covered. The biggest preparation will be in pre-tour conditioning. Can't stress THAT enough. I know how to build and true my own wheels now. A skill I didn't have then. I'm a more complete mechanic whereas before I was a 'rider' w/o many mechanical skills. THAT'S really important as well.