Old 01-22-09, 05:33 AM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Insurance for the adventurous?

Hi everyone,

I'm writing an article for a website on insurance for the adventurous traveller, which includes us cyclists!

I'd love any feedback from those of you who've bought travel insurance for cycling (or other adventurous activities - not your bog standard cruise or bus tour) on any pitfalls you might have encountered, tips on how to choose insurance.

From the American perspective, I wonder if planning a big cycle tour (say a RTW trip) where you'll be away many months causes problems when you come back home and need to get domestic coverage again?

For example, I discovered that many companies that advertise cycle touring coverage only offer it as an incidental part of the holiday. If you're doing it every day of your vacation, you're not covered.

If you don't mind being quoted, that'd be great. I may message you for your real names. Otherwise, even just general feedback to go into the 'brainstorm pot' would be appreciated. And if there are any experts out there who'd like to be interviewed in depth, please get in touch too. I may be able to provide links to relevant websites...