Old 01-22-09, 02:13 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Disc brakes rubbing on brand new bike, bike shop says it will fix, but...

So I was shopping for a new bike for winter biking, and found a 2008 Civia Highland on clearance. It comes with all Alfine stuff - internal hub, alfine disc brakes, etc.

So I went to pick up my bike after it was "ready", and being that it was a new bike with a new weird hub and different front dynamo hub, asked the guy to give me a demonstration of how to take the wheels on and off in case I got a flat.

So we took the front wheel off, then I tried to put it back on again. Well, after finally getting it back on on the bike stand the front disc brake is seriously rubbing. I mean, metal on metal sounding. So the guy I'm working with asks another mechanic who apparently is very good with disc brakes to take a look at it. Well, this 2nd guy fiddles with it for about half an hour and can't quite get it right. It's the end of the day, and he says that I should leave the bike overnight and they'll pop off the rotor and put the rotor in some sort of truing stand. He also mentions that the back brake looks good, but in addition to the front rotor being slightly warped, he mentions something about adjusting the front brake all the way over and it still isn't quite right on (while the rear brake is adjusted relatively center to get it to the correct position).

I don't own any other bikes with disc brakes - this is my first one (it's hydraulic). But my dad's mountain bike has also always had a problem where after he pops off the front wheel and puts it back on again (to get it in and out of the car) the disc rubs a little. Like, enough that he can tell while riding it.

So here's my question - is the brakes rubbing after taking the wheel on and off something that's common with disc brakes? Or if I still have this problem when I pick up my bike, should I insist that they replace the rotor or the brakes? Can they really "true" the rotor? Or is the brakes rubbing just something I'm stuck with with any bike with disc brakes?