Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Insurance is just that, insurance.

I opted to buy a health insurance policy from World Nomads out of Australia on my year tour. There policy covered me for one month after I came back to the US. For the year it didn't cost much (maybe $400-600 US dollars??)-I don't feel like looking it up rite now.

I had about a month of overlap between my old jobs health insurance, and World Nomads policy. Thankfully I didn't have to use the health coverage on my trip. I did have an illness which required a visit to a western doctor/clinic while in Nepal, but the out of pocket expense was absurdly inexpensive (including lab tests and x-rays).

I'll rant for a short bit on insurance: Carry it if at all possible!

My brother is a non-smoker (never smoked), and rarely drinks alcohol. Christmas week he was diagnosed with a blood cancer (we have no family history). His treatments so far would cost nearly a hundred thousand dollars if he had to pay out of pocket. Years ago he had also signed up for both short and long term disability insurance where he works (costs maybe 3$/week). He likely will not be able to work for 6 to 8 months.

In the case of cycling, and traveling, there are all sorts of risks we expose ourselves to which have the potential to be financialy catastrophic.