Old 01-23-09, 11:38 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm no Lance lover and think he's on a hiding to nothing with this 'comeback'. I also resent the way the Tour Down Under has been hijacked by the Lance Media Mania ... much of which is probably little to do with the man (the quality of general journalism in Australia is abysmal). However, he does have a say in the way his minders behave and there are enough reports there to suggest the little tin god complex hasn't gone away.

Having said all that though, the man has come out, looked good and worked hard. He looked very nervous and was well protected during the prologue but that's quite understandable and he was never going to win it anyway. He's been right up with the leading groups throughout the other stages. He was in a major breakaway on thursday, had to genuinely work hard to stay with it and there was no suggestion he was there as a passenger (only 14 riders, EVERYONE has to work). I've just come back from Willunga Hill - they had to climb it twice. On the second climb, the peleton was shattered, spread over a 2km at least, to the extent that the spectators had given up and were going home when another big bunch came around the corner ... and then another one. When the front end came past me, Lance was leading a small chasing group trying to haul in Montcoutie and another rider ... and Lance was looking strong and good.

He's come back to be a racer and is worth his spot in the peleton, you can't take that from him.

But that won't stop me resenting the way his personal objectives (the cancer promotion and Lance Inc) have overtaken the race. Maybe it's different where you are, but that's the case here.

Richard