vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I agree that this is probably the most dangerous situation at night. I look at this issue from the motorist's viewpoint. I assume that you were nearly t-boned by motorists failing to see you as they pulled out from sidestreets or driveways. By the time they see your sidelights, it is probably too late for them to avoid you. I think you need brighter headlights, so motorists will see you before they pull into your lane. I wonder if the helmet mounted light is always pointed in their direction. A bike mounted head light might be more visible to these motorists. (I really don't know for sure, since I've never tried a helmet mounted light.)

I also pull way to the left of my lane--or even into the left lane--when I see a car getting ready to come into my lane from a side street (you can usually do this easily at night). Not only does this maneuver make it easier for them to see me, it also gives me a little more distance and time for emergency swerving or braking.
I almost got hit today as I was coming up to a side street. I did slow down, and thought that the driver would notice I'm comng up on him to cross the street. He never even looked to his left. They were talking on a cell phone, and pushed on the gas to enter the main street, just as I passed in front of them!

They were stopped at a stop sign, and should have been looking both ways, but they only looked to the right ... !!! That is scary, and I've seen that happen before, even when people are walking across a crosswalk.

I too pull out to the left lane sometimes to avoid being hit by a car that is ready to pull out onto the main street. Sometimes there is too much traffic, so I just have to stop, or turn to the right, and go down the street or sidewalk a bit, then go back to the main street.

Don't ever assume that the drivers have noticed you, and even you think they have seen you, sometimes they will not yield the right of way ...