Old 01-26-09, 09:02 AM
NoisyKnees
same as it ever was

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Was the fit between bearing and race flush and tight before you put it on the fork? I installed one on my bike recently and I think they have some wobble in them. The bearings have room to wiggle in the cups and races. I imagine this is to allow for the bevels to be the only point of contact even when the alignment is not perfect. It would also handle steer tube flex.
Ah yes, the $64,000 question, was the fit flush before I put it on the fork - if only I could remember.

I think we are getting closer - the small stepout I confused Hawaiiwrench with can now be discounted - thats not the problem. I think now that gap is just supposed to be there (??) It looks and feels weird as the bearing is sitting on the crown race bevel which is creating the gap in the photos. Sitting high on the bevel gives it a slight wobble instead of a nice seat. The only other possibility I can think off is I hit it so hard I flared the race out - which is unlikely.

Anyway - its all assembled now - if it fails anytime soon then I'll just put it down to my crappy spanner-work.

"Accountant - dangerous with spanners"