felt1
Idiot

Bikes: Kirklee(custom), GT GTR Ultra, Salsa Mamasita

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmart
I have a Sette Flite frame (http://www.setteusa.com/flite_frame.htm) However, I'm wondering what benefit I would get from switching to the 4" setting.

Also, just to make sure I have this right - the longest travel setting is using the mount hole closest to the seatpost, and the shortest travel setting is using the holes farther from the seatpost, right?
The 4" travel position will have a lower leverage ratio. Most XC racers prefer a 2:1 leverage ratio but it is all personal preference. the 4" travel setting will have a higher rate of spring progression do to the ratio. So yes, the first inch of travel would be easier to squish while it would get considerably harder as stroke was taken up. While the 6" setting would be more linear but would still get harder obviously.

To your second question, the further your shock is to your pivot point the lower the leverage ratio. So probably yes. The further your lever arm extends away from your pivot point the less travel you will have and the more leverage your shock has against the swingarm.(2:1)

Last edited by felt1; 01-26-09 at 03:57 PM.