View Single Post
Old 01-26-09, 02:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The high US prices are the result of a minimum advertised price (MAP) policy. Prices were raised about 75%. Some dealers are getting around it by not advertising prices. You have to call to get a price quote.

If you compare the prices of a 2008 Chorus or Record 10 group to the new 11 speed groups, it's basically the same. Campy did not raise the prices of those groups for 2009. The new SR group is priced about 17% above Record.

The only 10 speed groups for 2009 are Centaur and Veloce. A Centaur 10 group with carbon crank and brake levers is about $710. Chorus 11 is about $950 (at Shiny bikes). I read where someone called Licktons in the USA and got a quote of $1220 for a Chorus group, which is really not bad.
I've never been in Marketing so I guess I don't understand the psychology but those eye-popping MSRP figures seem very foolish and self destructive on Campy's part. Are they trying to set themselves apart from Shimano and SRAM as strictly carriage-trade products? There has to be a limit where even the well-off will balk at the cost.

However, as you said, even here the street prices aren't anywhere near the MSRP and Colorado Cyclist's published individual item costs have to be a sham. For example, they list a complete Chorus 11-speed build kit which includes everything but a frame and fork for as low as $2270 with Campy's own Eurus wheels. Taking out reasonable costs for the wheels, tires, saddle, bars, stem, etc, makes the Chorus group itself priced at under $1300. And, CC has never been the low-cost supplier.