Old 01-26-09, 08:58 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Not much in the way of bikes in the thrifts that I frequent in suburban Philadelphia. I have not gotten anything worth while in the last year or so.

That said, in the space of two weeks last year I picked up a Miyata 1000, Miyata Ridge Runner MTB and 1986 Schwinn Predator BMX bike, all from the same store. All were in fantastic shape and needed only cleaning and tuning. They were all too small for me and went to ebay. I made a bunch of cash and then spent it on more bike stuff for me! Ahhhh.... the "Flippers Circle of Life"!!

With regard to the economy and bikes, I think much of the collectible stuff has come down in price (luxury items) and solid, transportation type bike are still in demand. Even here in Philly in the winter, the solid transportation type rides go quick on CL,if not idiotically priced.

I feel for the folks struggling right now. I was out of work for 8 months after being laid off in March of '08. I was finally hired by a new company in December. I have never been unemployed since I started working at age 13 (41 now). Politics aside, (God, I am so sick of politics) if you know someone who you think needs help, they probably do. Please offer to help if you can. I know I was thankful for anyone who would just listen to me at times.

It might not be a bad idea to cobble together some solid transportation type bikes out of members extra, non-valuable parts etc. and donate the finished bike(s) to someone who needs it. Kind of like pay it forward but for one specific purpose.