View Single Post
Old 01-06-05, 06:34 AM
Steele-Bike
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockmuncher
If ppl were serious about safety then they would be promoting the use of a SOLID rear light accompanied by a blinkie attractor AND a reflector if required by law. The solid rear light provides continuous spatial positioning information for drivers approaching from the rear, as does the reflector.
I always figure that most people (at least the ones on BF) already have reflectors in place. I would hope that a single blinkie would not be ones only rear visibilty aid.
Originally Posted by andygates
As a driver, I prefer steady lights to blinkies. Blinkies make me think "cyclist" and try to locate him; steadies mean the cyclist is just parsed by my subconscious driver autopilot, the same thing that means I don't hit kerbs and cars and streetsigns.

My brain makes more mistakes than my autopilot. Run both steadies and blinkies, if you like, but run a strong steady light as the minimum if you ride in traffic.
I prefer large amounts of reflectivity in addition to a couple of blinking blinkies. While a steady light is useful for judging distance, I do not feel safe relying on the fact that a motorist is going to take notice to a reflector or a solid light. Think how many times you see a traffic cone (with reflective tape) laying along side the road. Now if that cone would have had a blinkie...