View Single Post
Old 01-27-09, 03:47 AM
kranz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My gut feeling is that a 113mm BB spindle is too short for a Raleigh GP to give the correct chainline. The GP has a pretty large offset on the chain ring side. As I mentioned, I used 122 and 127 mm Shimano BBs with Suntour cranks. So, I think you are faced with the following possibilities:
  1. Trial and Error- If you want to use the current BB, you will just have to experiment. Pick a crankset and see what kind of chainline you get. See if it is close to where it needs to be. If it's close then based on whether you need a larger or smaller chainline, you can make a choice of ISO vs. JIS, or the various manufacturers. Sutherlands has a diagram that shows in a relative way where the various cranks line up on the tapered axle. But it won't vary by much. If not so close you will need a different size spindle. My suspicion is this BB is too short, but you won't know till you actually try it.
  2. Known combination- Scrap the BB and use a BB and crankset known to work or known to be close.
  3. Retro fit- Scrap the cotterless BB and go back to the Raleigh cottered cup/spindle/crankset. They are cheap, easy to find (I've got several lying around). On the downside, they are heavy and they have cotters. This is your low cost solution.

Last edited by kranz; 01-27-09 at 04:45 AM.