Old 01-31-09, 10:48 AM
nonfortuna

Bikes: Zion EBB, Steamroller, Zaskar LE, Top Fuel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not positive on 600, but Shimano recommends a tooth difference of only 15t between chainrings for a 6500 fr. der. In practice, this works just fine with the 16t dif of a standard compact, but with a 53t, you would have to set the cage high enough that the chain would rub on the flat perpendicular part of the fr. der. cage in low in the front and probably about half of the higher gears in back. Furthermore, even the long cage shimano road r. ders. have a capacity of only 37t (cassette tooth count difference + chainring tooth count difference,) and you're already at 36t w/ your current configuration. In short, It could be made to work, but the aforementioned "lack of overlap gears" would be seriously exacerbated by the inability to use all the gear combinations that would otherwise be attainable with a system composed of strictly compatible components. That being said, I have an older braze-on 105 fr. der. and short cage DA r. der. that work fine with my 34/50 R4550 compact crankset and 12/27 cassette as long as I'm careful, so if you're willing to deal with a slightly finicky drivetrain, go for it!