Old 01-31-09, 03:28 PM
une_vitesse
Peace and bicycle grease!

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Voyageur, Ross Mt Hood, Rossin, the Nugget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would recommend going to the bike shop and buying a new chain, for several reasons. one, you know you'll get the max amount of links, and two, you know you'll start with a new, unworn chain. installing a worn chain on a newer drivetrain will speed up wear on the dt. also, if you bring your bike to the shop from which you'll be buying your chain, you can ask them to check wear on your cassette and chainrings to determine whether buying a new chain is enough (installing a new chain on a dt that's worn will speed up wear on your chain out as well). i would venture to say that you should do that regardless of your plans, it's good to be aware of the state of your drive train.
i suppose if you can ask the sellers to send you a pic of them checking the wear on the chain either using the specific tool, or with a ruler measuring 12 links of the chain to be sold (12 links=12 in) and make sure you get at least 112 links, that would be okay.
105 chains aren't that pricey, unless you take into account the price mother earth pays when another chain gets sent to the landfill (hopefully you recycle, do or know someone who does bike art)