View Single Post
Old 02-01-09, 12:41 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Front: bottom pull, 28.6mm clamp. That's the spec for most touring bikes, including every one from 1984 and prior.

Rear: you'd need a newer XT, the 8-speed (M737) from the mid-90's was rated to a max cog of 32t. I think, anyway. I'm not sure what you mean by high or low profile, and top or normal pull. I'm guessing they mean these two distinctions:
1. long cage vs. super-long cage (GS vs. SGS). You should probably go super-long cage (SGS) with your gearing range.
2. traditional vs. reverse cable-pull (also known as "low-normal") This is all up to what you're used to and can get used to, and what feels comfortable. Here's what Harris Cyclery's website has to say about the difference:
Most rear derailers are pushed by a spring toward the highest (smallest) sprocket, and the shift cable pulls them toward the lowest sprocket. Shimano "Rapid Rise" rear derailers ( XTR Rapid Rise, Nexave T400, MegaRange Rapid Rise and Tourney Rapid Rise )work the opposite way, springing toward the lowest (largest) sprocket. This system provides slightly better downshifting, but can be confusing to a rider who is accustomed to high-normal derailers. Either type may be used with any contemporary Shimano shifter, but if you use a low-normal derailer on a shifter made for high-normal, the indicator numbers will read backwards, and you will have to shift in the opposite direction. However, if you use a Rapid Rise derailler with bar end shifters, both shifters will shift in the same direction ( up will be higher ).