Old 02-02-09, 07:11 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grim
Made up today for the beaters I have been getting of late.

I am Still looking for a 27 inch wheel set to fix this Mixte aka the "face eraser" (she face planted in the first 200 feet she rode it) I picked up with the wife in mind.

So I walk into the local thrift I have near me that I got the Mixte at. Go walking over to the bike area and I see a very dirty and very small red and white drop bar road bike. It is off to the side behind a shelf like somebody was trying to hide it.

Look at the back wheel and yep it is a 27 inch. I lift the bike give the wheel a spin and it is just as close to perfect as one could ever hope. I really start looking at the bike Araya rims, Sakae SA cranks, decent Shimano light action derailleurs, Indexed down tube shifter...not ratchets these are indexed. Diacompe "junior" handles and Diacompe calipers.

I get really looking...this bike has hardly EVER been ridden. The chain has that new chain "grease" feel in fact the grease has gelled to the point it is stiff. The cassette is dusty but not grease covered. The tires look new. The grip tape is perfect. The gum hoods are still supple. This is a NEW 1987 bike that has sat in somebody's garage for the last 22 year.
I start rolling and I just about have to lean over to hold this bike by the stem......and suddenly I realize just how tiny this bike it. The front wheel is a 24 inch!

It is a "Georgena Terry" the model is "Gambit" and it is a early version.. Heard of Terry saddles but never a Terry bike. Turns out this is a women's specific bike designed by the woman who founded the company. The tire stagger is to help with toe overlap. The best part is it is exactly my 5ft tall wife's size.
What Sheldon says. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/terry/index.html

Nothing is bent. I was close trying to hide some of the clutter and it has a bit of a fisheye effect.
Gotta love that. Terry bikes are awesome - the first of the WSD bikes.