View Single Post
Old 01-08-05, 06:08 PM
jnoble123

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A touring buddy and I did a fun, not very scientific comparison test between my MSR DragonFly International and his soda can stove. We called it the Campstove Olympics.

You can read about it in detail on Bicycle Touring 101 in the Campgear section. In summary I was quite impressed with the soda pop stove. It was a great deal less expensive then my stove, you could fit three of them in the space needed by the MSR and it was very quiet when cooking.

The MSR handled multiple fuel types, was able to boil water faster and could be turned off easily.

One big advantage of the soda can stoves could happen on a long bicycle tour with an airplane flight in the middle. I've heard that airplane security doesn't seem to like people having stoves that have been in use before. Of course you can't carry fuel at all. Discarding a fuel bottle sucks but isn't too expensive. Discarding a whole stove on the other hand could be. With a soda can stove you could easily carry many stoves with you and when it comes time to board that plane in the middle of your tour then you simply throw away the used stoves knowing that you still have an unused stove or two available.

Of course you can easily make another set of stoves out of inexpensive parts provided you don't mind the waiting time while glue drys.

~Jamie N
www.bicycletouring101.com