Old 02-07-09, 09:49 PM
Roasted
huffy owns

Bikes: Catrike Expedition, KHS XC 204 mountain bike, Nashbar SS Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, yeah. I know I'm overthinking it. But at the same time, it's a learning process. I learned about bottom bracket types when my first one went out. My BB on my Boulder SE went out after a good 2 and a half years. But I was one of those people who got a bike, was wow'ed over it and rode it for a month, then got caught up with other stuff and only rode on random occasions. As of late last year I got into heavy biking again, which is when I realized that my crank was shifting more and more when I pedaled... hence the BB replacement.

But anyway, staying on topic, I know I'm overthinking this, but my thing is it's how I learn the difference parts of a bike because it's overwelming to realize how complex it is. There's different types of BB's, okay, what are they? How do they differ? What are the pros and cons of each? Obviously there are or else we'd have 1 almighty design that everybody uses and that's all there is to it. That's what sparks the questions in my head, such as my questions about the Octalink's future... how likely it is to continually see it in future bikes, how likely it is to find replacement parts for it... if no replacement parts are available, can I change to a different one if need be? etc... That's why I ask so many questions, because once I get fixed on a topic I have this gumption to know everything I can about it.

So, if anybody can offer anymore answers to my ridiculous questions, such as Octalink's future in biking, etc, that'd be great! It kind of sounds based on the comments some people have said that Shimano is already starting to phase it out. Kind of sucks because in my mind that plants the seed of... "Oh, when your BB dies, you can't get a replacement... you simply need to upgrade the crank to Hollowtech... etc"