Thread: Last night
View Single Post
Old 01-10-05, 11:26 AM
jimv

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisible
i just got some powergrips and im having a hell of a time getting used to them, so far they seem to me to work better around the tip of toes as when i get my whole foot in there and pull up nice and hard my feet come off the pedals... im sure tighter straps will work better, but if i tighten them i wont get my foot in, is this a break-in issue or do others have these issues with powergrips?
There seem to be 2 types of powergrips. One has a series of holes in the strap to provide adjustment, while the other has a vise-like clamp, with no holes. I've tried both in the past and were surprised how well they worked. The clamp type allow very fine adjustment but the hole type feel more secure.

I must admit that I thought they were a gimmick but they do work well. I still prefer toeclips and straps but my friend Al uses powergrips exclusively. My only complaint with them was that the metal piece that forms the forward attachment point for the strap was too weak. After a good climb I had to bend them back into position.

You aren't trying to slip your foot straight into them like a toe clip are you? They're designed to be entered/exited with the toes in toward the bike and heel out. It's when the foot is brought into line with the bike that the straps tighten around the foot. Sorry if that's overstating the obvious.

Take care

Jim