View Single Post
Old 02-10-09, 01:14 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by pschirm
I am a senior in Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State University and our final project is to design a bike chariot that can be pulled behind another bike where the user can still pedal to help travel. We are looking into using a Shimano Nexus hub, or similar automatic hub to drive a rear axle assembly purchased from a trike manufacturer. One of the major issues we are looking into is how to recreate a bottom bracket so we can mount our crankset on the front. Is there somewhere that we could get some dimensions on the bottom bracket so we can add it to the front of our bike?

The bike is for a disabled person who is partially paralyzed (he has mobility, but it is really shaky). The goal of the project is to have it completely designed and fabricated so he can ride in RAGBRAI across the state of Iowa this year. They also want it to double as a training device that he can use in the off season. We are open to design suggestions or any links to existing chariots etc. that may help us out in this process.

Thanks in advance!!
Have a look at the 5th item down on this page.
http://www.freedomtrikenbike.ca/genesisbrand.html
Sorry, I don't have any better pitures of it, but the idea is pretty straight forward. It hitches to the seatpost of the lead bike, just like any trailabike.
The sizing of this particular unit is really only suitable for adolecents, but I see no reason why an adult size version shouldn't work.
I sold one of these to a family with a 13 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy, and they were very pleased with it.