Old 02-10-09, 09:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
My 2 cents:

1-Fit, Fit, Fit. A properly fit bike, which includes the saddle position, can make even some pretty rough saddles feel OK. Then you can switch to your preferred saddle and feel simply great.

2-Understand what the saddle is going to do. Hold your upright self on a longish ride? Keep you on the pedals and tucked for the criterium? Some saddles are for sitting on; others simply keep the seat tube out of your "immediate vicinity." That has a lot to do with what saddle you may want.

3-Prioritize. Only three parts of your body touch the bike, so your bars, saddle, and pedals should be something you give some thought, not simply adding a component.

4-Experiment. Once the bike is fit, try a couple of saddles, and fine-tune the adjustment to see if you can get it better. Amani576 above has a lot different saddle on his bike than the Turbo it came with, but I like his present saddle.

5-Ask around. I have a friend who only rides Specialized BG, another who only rides Brooks B-17's, and another who has little problem with the better offerings from the mid-80's. I have no real preference, just light and small and out of my way.