View Single Post
Old 02-12-09, 05:07 AM
rtay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flip my Stem

OK, I posted a thread a while ago having a moan about the frame size of my new bike, which I was afraid was too big. I was getting lower back aches and this nearly drove me insane cos I had just bought a shiny new bike which I thought I might have to replace. Anyway, I flipped the 6 degree stem and the riding is now great with the slightly higher bars. No pain at all, and getting a lot of power into the bike. But is riding with a flipped stem correct? Sometimes I feel that when I pull on the bars, I get a little lift, which may be due to this. I could go put a 1cm spacer to raise the bar a little and put a 10mm shorter stem in, which would put the bars in nearly the same position, but will this change anything? After riding for a week, I am finding that I could afford to get lower though - but when I flipped the stem back, it feels a little too low and the back starts to tighten up again... so I flipped it back. Maybe after more riding I could get the bars lower again.... my riding is getting more and more aggressive, and I do get quite low, but it seems perhaps the reach is still a little too long. Any thoughts are appreciated...