View Single Post
Old 02-12-09, 11:47 PM
ceruleance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broken Headset Bolt

I broke the top-cap bolt while trying to (over-)tighten my headset to remove the fork wiggle.

I realize now that I was cranking it way too hard, but it was removing some of the play and there was still a little play left that I was trying to remove. Also, the spacer was ~5-7mm above the top of the steer tube which as I understand should have been plenty of space for it to get tight assuming I had the appropriate length screw. Now I think the problem may have been that I was using mismatched headset parts. The top cap bolt has Campy Record written on it, However my headset is clearly labeled FSA. I am not sure when this happened as I got it this way from the previous owner. It seemed to work with my old stem but I swapped to a new stem with a larger stack height which is when I broke the bolt.

So I need a new top cap bolt, and they are not a standard size, they're different depending on manufacturer, correct? I am thinking the bolt should be from FSA since that is what is written on the headset? How do I know what exactly to order? The only thing written on the headset is Sealed Stainless and a Pat#.

By the way in case it matters this is a Specialized S-works E5 and the rest of the groupset is campy record.

Thanks for the help!