View Single Post
Old 02-15-09, 09:20 AM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flipping a blog on its head

This is a really old thread, but I'm going to add to it in the hopes that I reach some people who are still looking for a home for their tour journals.

I've just moved all of my travel journals to a new home. I chose to use blogger, in spite of the by default upside down nature of a blog. I started by changing my blog template to match the look of my primary web site. I moved all of my journals to their new home by moving the content and references to the photos, but I took the fastest path and just moved the entries. That means that the journals read upside down, from newest post to oldest.

I actually think that the newest to oldest order works when I'm traveling because it means that the people who are following me open my journal to the latest entry.

I don't think it works when reading the journal after the trip. It really needs to read like a book, from oldest entry to newest entry (or in any other sensible order I'd like to set...).

I just posted an entry in my "play" blog that explains how I did the flip. (Yup, it's a little odd to have a play blog. I use it to experiment with things, and to document the tricks I've uncovered on the way.)

If you're interested in using blogger as you travel, but you want to flip your blog on its head, maybe this will help - http://denisegoldbergplays.blogspot....-its-head.html.

If you're interested in a quick look, an example... this is a hiking journal as opposed to a biking journal, but it is an example of my new format: http://denisegoldbergdeathvalleynov2008.blogspot.com/

Don't hesitate to shoot questions my way.

--- Denise

Last edited by denisegoldberg; 02-15-09 at 10:11 PM.