Old 02-16-09, 10:11 AM
reedpride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linkable
Hello All,

I have also been thinking about what is possible or practible in a bicycle generator while you ride.

Currently I am working on adding an Xtracycle Freeradical (www.xtracycle.com) to my Cruzbike Freerider (www.cruzbike.com), a similiar bike can be seen at:
http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/05/25/g...ycle-cruzbike/

Rather than using a freewheel on the rear, the rear wheel would either be an electric rear wheel, or just a regular rear wheel with gears. Since the bike is front wheel drive the gears on the rear wheel could be used to run a bicycle generator. The magnet motor, power inverter, etc... would be monted on the rack directly above the rear wheel. There is a lot of do it yourself bicycle generator links online.

I don't know how much our friend Physics would get in the way. Maybe with the right type of batteries, e-wheel, controller, etc... you could generate enough power to keep a spare battery charged up.

Any ideas?

Jeff
Jeff, If you have taken physics you will understand the law of conservation of energy. Because of this, you will encounter losses via ambient temp, line losses, friction from road and aerodynamic surface area, etc. So charging a battery with another battery (essentially what your thinking) will not be linear in the respect of biking.

People have already explained how bad it gets running on regen mode with the bionx system, 10 miles in 1.5 hr is pretty bad. The only real practical way would be if the generator were extremely small, but then you could be encountering issues as to how the battery takes the energy. Batteries are very sensitive and if they are not controlled properly (charge/discharge controller) they will stop working, or worse, blow up or catch fire.

Another idea that may work would be to take a look at Ultra Capacitors.