View Single Post
Old 02-17-09, 01:11 PM
WhiteCarbonDude
aka. vertical jon

Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?

Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Date of Ride: 02/13
Type of Ride: solo ride
Name of organized ride or route: Anaheim to Palm Springs
Actual Mileage: 101.5
Ride Time: 6:00
Total Time: 6:59
Avg. Speed: 16.9
Altitude Climbed: 4514 feet VDO MC1.0+
Weather conditions: Rain, cold, windy as hell. Average temp 52.6, low of 44
Synopsis of Ride: I've had this idea for a couple years in my head to ride to Palm Springs Friday do the Tour de Palm Springs Saturday and ride home on Sunday having completed 3 centuries in a row. Since my father lives out there I sent him my clothes and extra SE and Heed I needed for my trip. The weather was not good for this trip but I headed out anyway. I waited till the rain stopped at home to leave and traveled north on the SART. From there I took Green River through Corona and various roads ever to Victoria, a great road for bikes that follows the orange tree groves for miles. All the roads were wet like I had just missed the rain but up ahead looked bad. Through Moreno Valley I stopped at In-n-out for some water and the temp was dropping with the wind I was shivering. Up and over Redlands Blvd to San Timoteo Rd I hit two detours that took me up and out towards Oak Glen were it started raining at almost 3000 feet the temp was 44 and the cross winds were 20-30mph. I headed down Beaumont Ave to 6th St and finally the wind was in my favor and I was headed down Ramsey St at 30mph. From there you get on the 10 Fwy and exit the next off ramp at Fields Rd. There is an old frontage road that follows the fwy till you get to the 10 again at the 111 and take it to Palm Springs.

Date of Ride: 02/14
Name of organized ride: Tour de Palm Springs i.e. "TandemPalooza"
Actual Mileage: 103.5
Ride Time: 5:27
Total Time: 6:28
Avg. Speed: 19
Altitude Climbed: 3406 feet VDO
Weather conditions: Windy and cold at the start avg temp 59, low 43, high 65
Synopsis of Ride: Met up with my club'o tandems at the start and had strong head/cross winds for the first 14 miles. Flatted @ 13.5m just before the first CP and my team left me for dead. I caught up with one of our tandems and road with them for the day. I felt surprisingly strong and was doing most of the work for my team mates. Picking up many riders along the way and many thanked me for pulling so much. My friend wanted to get home to his wife for Valentine's Day right after the ride and he asked me if I wanted a lift. I decided to take him up on his offer and go home a day early and surprise my wife for V Day. Killed my plans on doing 300 for the weekend but it made my wife happy