Old 01-11-05, 10:21 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark4
Firstly, let me apologize for being a jerk. You guys bring up excellent points, and I had no reason to write so negatively about fixies. I really don't have a set opinion on such things... just a fuzzy one at the time. Who knows, maybe I'll have a fixed-gear of my own some day. The 'motor' is probably in good enough shape for riding one (though it sounds like there's a definite learning curve), and it should be a fun project. It was wrong of me to hijack this thread. I'm not a jerk offline, and I shouldn't be one here. I mean, it's a fun hobby/sport... and should really be 'live and let live' which I wasn't living up to. I've never been personally offended by peoples' choice of rides... just took it a bit too seriously is all... could be the cabin fever. Cycling's really about getting out there, and riding where and what you enjoy... geared, fixed, mountain, road, bent etc.
I sometimes have a similar reaction to yours, when I see old ten speeds abandoned or in an awful state of disrepair. I think a lot of the old ten speeds are really cool and I would love to own a nice Schwinn in its original geared state.

But I think there are enough old bikes available to keep everybody happy, whether they want a geared bike or a fixie or want to rip it apart and make some strange clown bike or whatever