Old 02-20-09, 03:05 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fantasminha
I just got off the phone with my boss about a possible position in DUBLIN, IRELAND! I'm so excited, I can't even tell you--I've wanted to live in Ireland as long as I can remember!

So now that my dream is becoming a reality, I realize that there are gaping holes in my knowledge of Dublin. For example:
We have 2 45lb dogs. Is it dog friendly?
I hope to live car-free. Is this possible?
In the US, we have 110 or 120 volt 60 hertz electricity. Can we take any of our electronics with us (without starting a fire?)

The best news ever, of course, comes with all that nervous excitement. Has anyone relocated internationally? Any advice? What about any folks who currently live in Ireland?
As someone else said, your probably better to find a good home for your dogs, perhaps friends or relatives who like your dogs. Animals usually need long quarantine before being allowed into another country. Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland, so you should contact the government of Ireland, like most modern countries they have a web site .

Most modern electronics fall into three groups, those that have a convertible internal power supply, those that have a non-convertible power supply and those with an external power supply.

Non Convertible internal power supplies, in these devices the power supply is inside the unit, and has a fixed voltage, to use these devices you need a converter when changing from one voltage/Hz to another. A Television is a good example. You need a converter, cheap converters are for low current devices, heavy current devices need either a replacement power supply, or should be replaced in country.

Convertible power supplies, usually have a 110/220 switch, these often have a detachable power cord, and you can order a different cord from the manufacturer. Desktop computers are a good example of convertible power supplies. As plugs can be different in different countries, order a cord for the country you are going to.

External power supplies are power bricks, wall warts, etc. In this case the power supply is separate from the unit, usually you can order a different power supply either from the manufacturer/distributor or a travel speciality place. Laptops usually use external power supplies.

Your first step though should be to find out what visas and other such information you need, don't count on your employer having the right information, instead check the Government of the Republic of Ireland website for contact information for their Immigration department and email them asking if they could send you information. You may need to contact an Irish Immigration lawyer to deal with this for you.

Car free, in Europe gasoline has always been very expensive, , so the car never really took over, like it did in the US. So expect much more transit to be available, and the bicycle to be used much more for transportation.
Although many people in Europe have cars, the car is used for recreational trips, while transit does the heavy lifting, the inverse of the way things are in North America.