View Single Post
Old 02-23-09, 09:38 AM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Hey folks. I'd love to do this - but I can't decide between the 50 or 100 mile ride. Any advice would be great!

I'm M33, and I ride regularly on weekends with LaTri & LaGrange in the Santa Monica mts, usually 40-50 miles, sometimes 60-65, with about 2000ft of climbing. I can outclimb a bunch of Cat5 and some Cat4 riders (I don't race bikes, though), but my back and butt start to feel it after about 60 miles. I'm a triathlete, so I only ride about 3x/wk, but I do run 10-12 milers on the other days in addition.

I've never ridden over 65 miles. Think the century is too much? Or should I be ok as long as I take some rest breaks in the middle?

Thanks!
We'd love to have you come out.

Let me answer some questions...

First You can do the 50-mile option. I'm sure you'd have absolutely no trouble.
Second In the 100, the climbing is (mostly) over by mile 62. There are 2 little "kickers at mile 82 & 85, but they're only 1-mile and 3/4-mile long. Really not too bad.
Third At mile 75, there is a bail-out option that avoids these last two climbs and will get you just about 80-miles by end.
Fourth If you pace yourself, I think you can do it. It would certainly be a challenge, but I think you could.

So, there are options. In the end, you'll have to decide for yourself. Hope this info helps.