Old 02-25-09, 06:53 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Joytech hub replacement

Last weekend I broke the 2nd spoke of the year on the rear wheel of my Schwinn circuit. I probably had let them get out of balanced tension. So last night I swapped out all of the spokes on the cassette side of the wheel and surprisingly enough got it relaced, running true, and tensioned properly using a parks tension gauge and truing stand. It is an art form to be sure.

The one thing that I noticed is that the bearings are very rough feeling. I bought the bike new last July and sometime in August or September had the same issue with the front hub bearings. For the front, I had to replace the cones as they were both pitted and it smoothed them out quite a bit. At that time I also cleaned and regreased the rear hub. I am sure from what i am feeling that I will find more pitting with the cones in the rear hub now.

I am looking for options. I know that I can swap out both of the hubs, relace, retension, true the wheel, etc... easily enough but need to know if the Joytech hubs are similar in size to Shimano, etc...

Is there any way to press in new and better bearings?

I am also looking into a new wheelset to get by with, but this is not a bike that I will ride for years so I can't get too carried away on price. There is no sense dumping a ton of money into a bike that will be replaced sometime in the future.

Just looking for options.
Thanks