genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
I agree. I think fiscal benefits of a healthier nation are huge compared to the money needed to put a decent bike infrastructure needed to bring a large chunk of that about.

I know a TON of people that simply could not bike in Augusta, GA because there was absolutely no way to do it without riding on MAJOR roads. (45mph speed limit, 60mph traffic, no sidewalks, no shoulder) All you would need in a place like that is a few connecting paths from residential area to residential area and it would open up the whole city to bikes. But they would have to give up their title to 5th fattest city in the country.
And yet there is a whole class of cyclists that insists that no such accommodations are needed for cycling... There is a classic debate going on right now in the Vehicular Cycling sub forum regarding the auto centric environment in which many of us cycle... and how that situation is part of why folks won't even consider cycling. Take a look. http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...&postcount=157 (this is in the VC sub forum, so be forewarned about some of the attitudes you may encounter)

Yeah I tend to really agree with you... the only way that this nation is going to get fitter, AND less reliant on foreign oil, is for cycling and mass transit, and walking to be supported and accepted in lieu of the individual motor vehicle.