martinrjensen

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek TX900, Serotta CSI, Performance Scattante Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are screwed

Originally Posted by rousseau
I'm re-routing my front derailleur cable to behind the bars instead of the front, but my front derailleur cable is rather frayed on the end, and I'm having trouble threading it through the cable stop.

Would anyone have any brilliant tips for this kind of situation? I don't want to dip into my new cable and housing set just yet, as the roads are still kinda wintery, so I'd like to use this cable. I tried taking a short piece of electrical tape and taping it as tight and small as I could, but it still wasn't small enough to get through the cable stop.

What else should I try?
If you say you are having trouble threading it through the cable housing, it tells me that you have already pulled it out. You can try to wrap the threads back in place and "maybe" you can pull this off, but pretty much you should just go buy the cable. If your housing is in good shape, you shouldn't necessarily have to buy both. It's probably just $10.00 for a cable, and then squeeze those little caps on the cable ends so it doesn't happen again.
You can do like I did which was fight this for a couple three hours before I went out and bought a new cable or you can just assume you will be fighting it for a couple hours and go buy it now. Either way, I think you will end up on the sales side of a bike shop before this is all sorted. If it's a rear cable, save it and you can use it for a front (if it's in good shape)