View Single Post
Old 02-26-09, 01:02 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jake The Snake vs Surly CrossCheck

I have decided to save for a new $400 commuting frame. The two I am thinking about are the Surly Crosscheck and the Jake The Snake. I realize they are totally different bikes. I already own two "commuters": a Major Jake and a 1982 Peugeot P8. I love both but feel like the P8 limits my tire/fender choices (28 max with fenders) and the Major Jake is a little too high end for every day commuting in my book. One other option is to just settle into commuting every day on the P8 (a wonderful bike in its own right for commuting) and to use the Major Jake on days I intend to go offroad or need the studded tire up front.

I like the Jake The Snake because I LOVE my Major Jake's geometry for both on and off road riding. I am a little nervous about commuting full time on the scandnium frame and would prefer less of a loss if my commuter is stolen, so I am considering a JTS to replace the MJ as a primary commuter (of course, this is kind of silly because I don't race much and the MJ might just end up sitting).

I like the cross check because of the amazing versatility and the steel aspect. I realize the steel is nothing special and that it may be overpriced. Plus, I have never ridden one. But for some reason I am still smitten by that frameset and think it would be an oustanding commuter.

Of the two, what would you guys/gals pick? Or would you just shut up and ride what I have and enjoy them?
Thanks.