Old 02-28-09, 03:24 PM
EivlEvo
Look at all these buttons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
Since you have exposure to multiple models of Looks, any significant observations between the 3 different models ? What are you & your teammates running for cleats ? the grey 4.5 degree ? I'm mulling the Looks because of the ability to run the red 9 degree cleats if necessary. I have Ultegras but I can't seem to get my right foot (heel broken & surgically repaired) dialed in comfortably no matter what combination of cleat alignment & canting wedges I try. I went to the Ultegras from Eggbeater SLs on old nylon soled Nike mtb shoes which worked pretty darn well. I'd like to go to a road shoe/road pedal setup. I had also tried Frogs in the past but their float is too loose for me....I want float but I don't want the pedaling on icecubes effect either...I may try the Looks but if all else fails I will probably look for new carbon mtb shoes and go back to my Eggbeaters...
This is my 1st set of looks personally. I was using an older pair of ritchey SPD cleats (note NOT SPD-r type, regular spd) I originally purchased a set of eggbeater twin ti's and elected not to use them because of their lack of spring adjustment and their abundance of float. The reason I had originally been riding with SPD's is because I did tons of MTB racing before I had a road bike and wanted to use the same shoes...

With the looks, its taken me quite awhile to get them dialed in. I'm using the grey cleats as are all of my teammates sans one who's using the reds. (coincidentally... that's the chap that was getting squeaks.) I feel that the float is similar to that of an SPD about +- 6 degrees... seems a little firmer in general though.

The cleats wear down fast, I have the carbons and one of the benefits is that they come standard with the coffee shop covers which I just throw in my jersey pockets. The wear on my cleats vs. any of my teammates cleats is a HUGE difference. Mine look practically new and their's are nearly at the end of their lifespan.

Its definitely a different feel and will take some tuning. I basically found the longitudinal and lateral axis of my SPDs and expanded it with silver sharpie, and then used that as a starting point for putting on the delta cleat (or whatever its called). Then, fine tune from there.

But everyone likes them. I think everyone was coming out of spds as well.