xanatos
Canadian Commuter

Bikes: Iron Horse Maverick '03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,

I am providing a design proposal for a bike shelter at my school, and am looking for suggestions from those more knowledgable than I! Let me give a little background:

1. Weather - We have a very long winter, and gets down to -40 (-40 is the same in celsius and fahrenheit...).

2. Hoping to hold around 50 bikes or so, it would have a slanted ceiling and be semi-enclosed. I don't think it'll be walls, although they're looking for suggestions so perhaps I could suggest actual walls. They is the concern that during the winter people would have to go in there and be able to shovel it decently... that or have enough sheltering that there isn't much snow inside.

Specific info I would be wondering about:

1. Any positive/negative comments you have on bike shelters you've seen? Or feature you'd like to see? Any comments on layout, materials, square footage, would be much appreciated!

2. Know of any comparisons done between different bike racks? Hmm it seems to tough to balace (locking ease/ locking options / security / capacity / space efficiency...)

I'll be straight with y'all, this is a contest. However I think it'd be a step in the right direction for biking in Canada, and would love to try to help that as much as I can. So although I cannot promise any percentage of the prize (should I win), I hope that you will recognize you're contributing to something more important than the prize. This would be the first bike shelter at my school, and I'm tired of seeing bikes getting vandalized, stolen, etc, so this is pretty important to me. Thanks for your time!

cheers,
-xan-

Edit #1 - Also I should mention that I dont' think there will be rental fees... I'm not sure. But it doesnt' sound like it. So it would be open to use by everyone, so probably won't be seperate stalls or anything

Last edited by xanatos; 01-14-05 at 11:03 PM.