View Single Post
Old 03-02-09, 02:48 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I just don't understand how it could be "just different", seems like either it stops the bike quickly or it doesn't, and I've read (though have not tried myself) that it doesn't. It sounds like from your post that you acknowledge that it's a pretty weak brake, to. I mean, you'll adjust to any braking system to a certain extent by giving yourself more space and braking sooner I guess...but a much longer stopping distance is "terrible" IMO. I consider stopping with my rims brakes in the rain to border on a "terrible" stopping distance, to be fair...

It also seem like if you're running a front non-coaster brake, you've defeated the point of having a coaster brake - 1, less maintenance, replacing pads, etc, and 2, same performance in the rain. Might as well just put rim brakes on both and get better stopping distance in dry weather.
Different riding styles, also try stopping a rim brake bike with just the rear wheel....takes quite a bit more distance than using both brakes. The point in having a coaster in the rear and a drum/roller up front is safety and maximum braking power when needed. You use the coaster for slowing down, stopping from slow speeds, if you need maximum braking power go for the front brake, chain jumps or breaks go for the front brake. FWIW my roller brakes are all but maintenance free, a bit of grease and a small adjustment and they are good to go. No wear out parts that I am aware of.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon