View Single Post
Old 03-03-09, 10:41 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Any of your "reasons for cycling" can be pretty easily deconstructed or argued against. Better than trying to come up with some list of arguments for cycling (and who are you arguing against, exactly? and for what purpose), say instead that each person who rides, finds their own reasons for doing so. Evangelists tend to wear out their welcome in a hurry.
Well that's pretty boring. At how's that supposed to work? Someone asks you "What so great about cycling in?" and you answer "each person who rides finds their own reasons for doing so". Yaaaaaaaaawn - not helpful.

I agree with you that the "trying to convince you" evangelists wear out their welcome in a hurry. I find people find it much more interesting if you're fair in your explanations - for example, list a benefit, but also mention a drawback. Like, "I love arriving at work in the morning feeling good from getting the blood flowing. That feels great. But I admit that going out to lunch is rather inconvenient, I have to stick to the restaurants that are close are find someone with a car who's going out."