YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dreaming about a new commuter.....

Hey all,

I'm a Nursing Student (And a MAN! ). I graduate in May (PLEASE GOD, LET ME GRADUATE!!!) I have been doing some long range thinking about a new commuter. There is nothing wrong with my TREK 750, but I can't bring it into work. The neighborhood where the Hospital is located is sketchy at best (St. Margaret's, Hammond IN). I really don't want to get out at 11pm and have to walk seven miles home (the wife will NOT come get me.... under ANY circumstances! ). So I have been thinking....

I live in the very flat mid-west. I really only use four of my 21 possible gear combo's. I plan on riding in the snow next year (since I'll be working and can afford to buy the right gear). They salt the roads around here. This makes me think that an internally geared hub would be the way to go... It's sealed from the snow and salt, and I only need 7-8 gears anyways, right?

I'm also thinking that Disk Brakes would be a good idea.... I have heard that Disk brakes are much better at stopping in cold/ wet conditions (right?)......

And since I can't be pushing a bike into the hospital and taking it on the elevator to the seventh floor, I think a folder might just be the trick. Could/ would they really say anything about a semi-large bag that is just leaned up in the corner? Who would know its a bike, unless I told them?

So with these criteria in mind, I went a searching..... And came up with the Dahon Cadenza 8 (http://www.dahon.com/us/cadenza8.htm). It's a regular style bike that folds, has an 8 speed internally geared hub, disk brakes and 26” rims (I figure getting studded snow tires is easier for 26” rims than the little 16” or 20” that most folders come with).

Does anyone see a fault in my thinking? I really wanted a LHT or Cross Check, but the whole folding thing is really starting to tickle the back of my brain...... I was thinking about a Travelers Check, but the Surly site said that it's kinda time consuming to re-assemble.... I take it that it's not designed to be a daily folder.....

ARGH!!!! Mental ************ at it's best!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein