View Single Post
Old 03-04-09, 05:02 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
If I understand the question correctly, you're asking if there's a pre-packaged "how to put on a race" kind of thing. If that's the question, the answer is no. There's really nothing out there to help you put on a race. It's all a jumble of figuring it out on your own, asking others for help, etc etc. It's a huge area where USAC could work on improving.

Technically there is a USAC checklist for what you need to hold a race, but like any real life checklist, there's the official checklist and the "real" checklist. USAC does just enough to cover their butt. They don't have anything to contribute to a new promoter.

This is unfortunate because it's new blood that invigorates the sport, and that means new racers, new officials, and new promoters.

On an aside, USAC seems to neglect the foundation of cycling. For example, they have no info on group riding etiquette. If you go to the US triathalon group (I forget the name) they actually have an etiquette page on their site. USAC seems to be concerned with finding the next Lance Armstrong, not trying to promote cycling as an "everybody" sport. So their news and emphasis is on finding and bringing up extremely rare and talented racers, not making cycling a more popular sport. Things that get neglected are things like "how-to's" (for new racers and new promoters), racing clinics for all Cat 5s & 4s (which includes all the various new-to-racing Women, Juniors, and Masters), and evening out the playing field for non-pro riders (i.e. Cat 3-5).

cdr