w00die
karma is my higher power

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia Elite, '84 Trek 620, '84 Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
N+1 Newbie starts to see the light.

Well after weighing the options for a bit and reading others experiences I came to a decision that I was comfortable with (pun intended). Today I put a 08 Sequoia Elite on layaway.

Since starting to ride for weight loss and to improve my health a year ago I have definitely been bitten by the cycling bug. I started out with a Giant Sedona DX, which was perfect to get me into cycling. It gave me the confidence that; I could ride with my health/pain issues, the bike would hold up to my weight (major point for me), and that the benefits far out weighed the cons of choosing to try cycling. I then started reading the forums here, doh. And I learned enough to be dangerous (to my pocket book). On the spur of the moment one night I found a used older Crossroads Cruz and decided that it would be a good idea to buy that and then "build" it up, to save money right? Well I got the bike home and the hangover set in shortly there after. I realized I didn't really understand why I wanted a different bike and what I really needed to make me happier. But before I could come to my senses I saw the PERFECT bike on CraigsList, a flat black Cypress in the same size I had the Sedona in. So I figured I'd buy that, its got everything I need, right? Wrong.

So at this point I had three bikes and was still looking to build/upgrade. But i didn't have what I needed or wanted. I was looking at a wheel set, different bars, changing out the gearing/shifting. Sure i could do it and afford to over time, but would it save money or end up with the best option? This, I started to see, was the problem. Yes, I was trying to be fiscally wise and still get what I wanted/needed but the problem was I did not know what I needed only what I wanted. So with some advice from the good people here and some reading and lots of analyzing I realized that in the long run and short term too, I would be better off making a purchase to address a majority of my needs and that when I do upgrade, it will be to make the bike better not to make it work.

So instead of dropping money on wheels, bars, fork conversion and misc other things to make the Cypress work like I think I want it too, I put the Sequoia Elite on layaway. Layaway will allow me to secure a good deal on the bike I want now and still be responsible (blech!) by having the ability to wait until after the funds I had planned to use on a new bike are available rather than using rent money to buy it now. It also allows me to use what little funds I do have now to live off and pay bills instead of spending every penny on attempts to make something work.

So its a 2008 Sequoia Elite in the gray/silver paint. List was $1250 and I paid (will) $895, I think that's a decent price. 90 days till she's mine!!!

I'm soooo happy now! I have that consumerism buzz going, haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sequoiaelite.jpg (60.0 KB, 34 views)