Old 03-12-09, 07:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Last year I began riding again. I’m 52 years old, and I had a great year. Between commuting and fun riding I covered about 100 miles a week between June and November.

I’m going to step it up this year. I’m planning to ride about 500 to 600 miles/month and do a few century rides starting in April. My normal pattern of riding includes a 40 mile solo ride in 2.75 hours every very second or third day.

I eat a balanced diet, mostly prepared from scratch. I am feeling weak, tired and sometimes dizzy for 90 minutes after I ride. My doctor checked me out: he suggested that I drink plenty of electrolyte replenishing sports drinks and that low blood pressure was causing the dizzyness. Last year I went from 245 lbs to 220 and kept it at 220 this winter. I would like to lose 30 lbs this year.

I'm considering having a healthy snack during my longer rides.

What food(s) do you travel with on longer rides?

Michael
Cliff Bars are great and a great way to empty your wallet. At a cost of around $1 to $1.5 a bar, they are very expensive, especially if you are going to need a lot of them. A cheaper...and just as good...alternative is commercially available granola bars. A box of 6 will cost you around $3 and you can usually find them for cheaper than that. The Quaker Chewy bars are good and they have a new line that has different flavors. Breakfast bars, fruit bars, etc are also good. I've used Fig Newtons in the past but those can get pretty crumbly and aren't packaged individually. Less convenient.

Whatever else you eat is up to the individual. I can't eat foods with high fat contents...it just makes a brick in my stomach that makes me ill. I stick with fairly small portions - which is why the granola bars are good (100 calories vs 280 for the Cliff)- and just eat a bit more often. Some people can tolerate more, some less.

For sports drink, Gatorade works. I find I have to dilute it at the beginning of the ride or it tastes like syrup by the middle of the ride.

Gels: Ugh! They are like taking shots of corn syrup or icing during a ride Eww!

Experiment during your training rides with different food items until you find what works for you. However, as you get closer to the event, reduce your experimentation and settle on something that works. The day of the ride do not make any major changes! Don't think you are riding and can drop a dozen donuts! Don't think that you are riding and can do 6 molten candy bars from Starbucks! Don't down down a tasty steaming bowl of New England clam chowder at the lunch stop!

Stick with your routine. Save the barbecue for after the ride
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!