genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
I'm just pulling this number out of my ass, but on the roads you're suggesting bicycle-specific infrastructure is NEEDED in order to make them acceptable routes the size of the bicycling demographic will be approaching 0%. I don't think anyone will deny that they'd love to have a private highway laid outside of the cities for them (and considering the traffic volume it'll have, it's going to be pretty damn near "private"), but it's not going to happen on this continent.
Just a quick question... do you really believe that if there were nice cycling infrastructure out there; "bike highways" for instance, that the ridership would be near zero?

Around here such infrastructure does get used, but since the "network" is so incomplete, there are still vast disconnects that discourage everyday use by everyday people. But I find it somewhat amusing that people DO go out of their way to seek nice well designed paths... even driving to go get to a place where they can use said infrastructure, I that I have to wonder what might happen if it were as ubiquitous and easy to access as the US freeways system, albeit scaled for a cyclists in a city.

Of course it is pretty much a pipe dream, at least in my lifetime... but still, I wonder.